Sunday 15 September 2013

Mum's 50th Celebrations

My mum turned the big 5-0 on Monday, and there was no better way to celebrate than with friends, family, and a whole lot of food and booze. 

Me and ma siblings left shopping for her present to the day before... standard last minute panic. We got to Westfield for 10.30am, feeling proud that we'd got up, ready and out the door so early on a Sunday. Of course it slipped our minds that shops don't open till 12.00pm on lazy day Sunday. Major fail. So when the clock struck 12, we bolted like Usain to L.K Bennett, gathered a load of dresses which my auntie conveniently modelled for us (being 5 foot nothing like my mum), chose one, and went home. Bish bash bosh. 

Pub Lunch

To celebrate my mama in her old age, all the O'Connors gathered at a lovely pub called The Sun Inn just by Barnes pond. It was lovely to see everyone as we hadn't all been together since my aunties wedding aka wedding of the century at the beginning of August. It was one eventful day to say the least. Still yet to see the video footage...I dread it. But it was a beauuuutiful day with a capital B. 

What I Wore

The print on print trend is one of my favs at the mo...mainly because I have so many patterned clothes, and it gives me an excuse to mix and match them together! Just like I did on this occasion...





Top- Topshop
Skirt- Topshop
Cardigan- Primark
Boots- New Look
Sunglasses- Topshop
Necklace- Topshop

My mum was also rocking the print on print trend...like mother like daughter!


present tiiiime

What I Ate

The pub had its menu down to a T. Traditional, hearty, delicious food. 
To start, I went for the salt and pepper squid with lime mayonnaise. My mouth had an orgasm. 


and main had to be the roast beef...you can't beat a good Sunday roast!


Not gonna lie, the portion could've been a bit bigger, but I made up for it in desserts...

Salted caramel and chocolate tart with clotted cream <3
Sticky Toffee Pudding
My hips to the plate: 'I'll hold that pud for ya' 

I quite fancied the waiter, but after my aunties less than subtle attempts at setting us up, he revealed he was moving to Paris in a month. Better start polishing up on my French! 

More dessert....cakey cake cake 



My sister baked it especially. How could I say no?

Murano: Michelin Star Ting

On Monday (my mums actual birthday) we went to Murano, a Michelin star restaurant owned by Angela Hartnett (I'd never heard of her but apparently she was trained by good old Gordan Ramsay- my fave). This was my first time at a Michelin star restaurant, and it definitely lived up to my expectations. The food was literally mouth wateringly tasty. Every bite tasted like a little piece of heaven. And the service was amazeeee- there was never an empty glass of wine/water/bread basket.

They also had 400 different wines to choose from- my uncle said he'd put money on them not having the wine my dad chose, and he was right...both wines my dad wanted they'd run out of! Unlucky Colin. 

sistaz selfie
Little & Large

My auntie got my mum a beautiful Michael Kors watch- now we match!




Pre-starter goodies

To start, I went for the 'grilled aubergine, romano peppers, tempura courgette flower, ricotta'. Basically, some fried, cheesy veg. It was tasty shit.


My dad, being his standard self, went for the most obscure thing on the menu- 'roasted sweetbreads, apple and shallots puree, toasted walnuts'. Sounds pretty harmless...until I was told that sweetbreads is the culinary name for animal organs. Heart, stomach, brain....yuck, yuck, yuck.

When I told him it sounded disgusting, he replied "disgusting is just a cultural term; its about what you're used to and what you're not". Colin's life lessons. 

not so sweetbread

For main, I got the 'baked potato gnocci, fontina, wild mushrooms, smoked speck' aka posh pasta with ham and mushrooms. I didn't understand most of the menu but it really didn't matter because my tastebuds were loving life.

potaaato gnocci
My uncle cracking jokes as per
My mums dessert...amazing!

Dessert was my favourite of the three by far- Chocolate souffle with raspberry sorbet. It was my first ever souffle...and it's safe to say that after this beautiful melt-in-the-mouth creamy goodness, it definitely won't be my last! 





Celebrations: A Success?

Well my mum certainly enjoyed herself, and so did my waistline. But hey, it was worth it.

xoxo 









No comments:

Post a Comment